[mythtv-users] KnoppMyth R4 LILO fails on a 2 HDD system

Maurits van Dueren cybermaus_ at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 21 17:06:46 EST 2003

Hi there,

not sure is it is for all 2 disk systems, but when I installed KnoppMyth R4,
the scripts building lilo.conf seemed to mess up. As a result, I ended up
with a non-bootable system. Basically, on line 2 I had a reference to HDB
for booting, which I think does not belong there and tripped up lilo:

part: /dev/hdb5, typ: 11

To work around this, do the following once the automatic install is ready
but *before* you are responding OK to the reboot question. (Or, if you are
too late, as soon as you booted from the CD again and before yo take any
other selection)

CTRL-ALT-F2
# mount /dev/hda1  /mnt/hda1
# chroot /mnt/hda1
# cp /etc/lilo.conf /etc/lilo.conf.old
# vi /etc/lilo.conf

put a # before the incorrect reference to /dev/hdb5. Of course, the
incorrect reference may be for /dev/hdb1 too. vi hints: Press I to
insert/edit Press Esc and ":wq" to save.

Other things I noticed was that the /dev/hda1 partition was not really made
bootable by the install script, but that does not really matter to lilo as
long as it is in the mbr.

Hope this helps other spending less time....