[mythtv-users] Re:Commercial flagging in Germany?

Stephen L. Ulmer ulmer at ulmer.org
Sun Dec 21 13:00:49 EST 2003

On 20 Dec 2003, rkrig at gmx.de spake:

> Hi, I live in Germany as well and I'd like to mention something.
>
> Apparently a lot of the German TV channels increase the volume when
> the commercial break comes. 9 times out 10 I find myself reaching
> for the remote and turning the volume down as soon as commercials
> start. Of course once my show is back on, I have to crank it up
> again. Perhaps the sudden & constant change in overall volume paired
> with a frame detection method could help here.
>
> I'm assuming the volume thing is not common practice in all
> countries so I would suggest, if this function gets implemented,
> then it should be user configurable (on/off).
>

> By the way I think even a german TV magazine (Hörzu) once reported
> on the differences in loudness between commercials and the actual
> movie.

FWIW I notice exactly the same thing here in the USA (Cox Cable in
Florida).  I haven't really played with commercial detection yet, but
comparing audio levels at playback time (or being able to tweak audio
levels between commercial markers with the editor) would be on my
long-term wish list.

--
Stephen