[mythtv-users] Building myth box

Carlos Fernandez Sanz cfs-myth at nisupu.com
Sun Dec 21 12:15:17 EST 2003

Hi,

I've decided to replace my noisy xbox (which I use exclusively for network video playback, since I don't play) with a myth box.

Other than the obvious issues (video quality, etc), I'm mostly worried with noise. I want my box to be a silent as it can be. I was thinking about getting a VIA CPU, which apparently don't need even a fan. My sources are mostly DVB, so since they come directly in MPEG2 I don't even need compression power for most of them. Anyway, I'm getting a PVR-350 for Xmas for analog TV and TV out. So the only time I'll really need some CPU power is for MPEG4 playback.

Any thoughts?

Suppose money is not a major issue here (I'm getting the expensive parts for Xmas and I can afford a new CPU, mobo and case).