[mythtv-users] pcHDTV card, what to upgrade next?

Art Morales art at monger.net
Sat Dec 20 22:47:45 EST 2003

So I finally have the pcHDTV working well (after countless kernel recompiles
in Mandrake 9.2)...  However, HD (1080i or 720p) is killing my poor
machine... (fox's 480p looks and behaves very well).  Basically I'm getting
great audio but a lot of trashing in the screen.  The system is clearly not
keeping up with the amount of data

My Setup:

Celeron 4 2.2 ghz
Nvidia Ti4200 (Xvmc doesn't seem to make a difference in xine, but I'm not
sure if it's working yet)
pcHDTV card
512 mb 400mhz memory

Now the question is, what is the best upgrade I can make to ensure smooth
playback of HD streams?  I'm torn between a P4 2.4 - 2.6 (800mhz FSB) or a
newer nvidia card... any suggestions?

Art