[mythtv-users] [OT] SPDIF + composite video from M10000

Douglas Bates bates at stat.wisc.edu
Sat Dec 20 16:38:05 EST 2003

I hope you will excuse a question more related to hardware than to
MythTV.  I couldn't find an appropriate VIA forum to ask this.

I have a computer based on the VIA EPIA M10000 Nehemiah board which
has one RCA connector that can be set by a jumper to be either
composite video out or SPDIF out.  There is also an S-video connector.

Because I have a 5.1 amplifier, with SPDIF in, and a not-so-great TV
w/o S-video in, I would like to use both SPDIF out and composite video
out.  I have a S-video to composite conversion dongle that came with a
Shuttle SN41G2.  Is it likely to be able to work on the S-video
connector from the Nehemiah board if I set TV-Output to be Composite in
the XFree86 configuration for the via driver?  Or maybe I need to set
the TV-Output to be S-video.  I'm not sure if that setting selects the
hardware port or determines which signal is on each pin.  It seems
from the description on
    http://www.hut.fi/Misc/Electronics/circuits/svideo2cvideo.html
that the conversion dongle should work with a standard S-video signal.

Guidance would be welcome.