[mythtv-users] xbox & acpi/sleep & overscan

Dennis Cartier pvr at trigger.net
Sat Dec 20 07:13:33 EST 2003

Julian Scarfe wrote:
> considering an xbox frontend, but:
>
> a) booting it every time you want to watch tv seems impractical, but leaving
> it 'full-on' all the time seems  wasteful - anyone know if 'sleep' on a
> linux-xbox is do-able (do xboxes have acpi?), or have that kind of setup
> running?
>
> b) I saw a while back some posts about the xbox not overscanning properly,
> but it sounded like it was on the edge of being solved... anyone have it
> running without borders?
>
> c) any other 'xbox-frontend' shortcomings I should be aware of before I buy
> one?

Hi Julian,

a) I am not sure if it supports acpi, I will have to investigate.

b) The overscan issue is solvable with newer video drivers. I have ran
Myth under the newer drivers and can now adjust the screen so there are
no borders. Yay. Unfortunately this causes other problems and the
playback speed is impacted. I am still trying to figure out why this
happens. Mplayer seems unaffected and this only occurs to Myth.

c) The current version that I have made available works with version 1.1
- 1.3 of xboxs. The newest ones for sale are 1.5 and have a different TV
chip. This will be supported in the future, but I am unsure how well the
support will be initially.

Dennis