[mythtv-users] Re: Jarod's Fedora install - driver & web questions

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Sat Dec 20 04:16:54 EST 2003

On Dec 19, 2003, at 17:47, ian at duckland.org wrote:

> On Fri, 19 Dec 2003, Michael Cohn wrote:
>
>> I had no idea you could "build your own" RPMs.  I need to research
>> this.
>
> Yep - just install the src rpm, then usually you'd do something like:
>
> cd /usr/src/redhat/SPECS
> edit the <packagename>.spec file with the settings you'd like
> rpmbuild -bb <packagename>.spec
> cd ../RPMS/<arch>
>
> Then you can install the new rpms.

And/or use the spec file from the src.rpm with your own tarball
(possibly of a newer version, a patched version, etc.), edit the spec
file (pretty much all your build options go in there) to your liking
and have fully customized version in rpm form after building as Ian
said. :)

>> I wouldn't call myself a noobie, but I'm much closer to that end of
>> the spectrum
>> than an RHCE.  Thanks for your patience and guidance.
>
> No worries!
>
> 	-Ian, RHCE ;)

I have to go get re-certified before too long here... I got mine back
when 7.3 was current... Good thing I've got some machines running RHEL3
to play with...

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...