[mythtv-users] Resolutions for PAL

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Fri Dec 19 15:37:06 EST 2003

Jon Dye wrote:
> Christian Hack wrote:
>
>>> I'm tweaking my profile settings and am trying to decide the best
>>> resolutions to use for the 4 standard profiles.  I am in a PAL area
>>> and the examples given in the docs are for NTSC and although it does
>>> give some info on PAL.  I was wondering what other people were using
>>> or is it just a case of trial and error to see what looks/performs best?
>>

>> Yes trial and error. But the docs are fairly clear. The differences
>> between PAL and NTSC are essentially the number of lines (excluding the
>> colour bandwidth). So in the examples replace 480 with 576 and 240 with
>> 288 for PAL land. Horizontal resolution is for all intents and purposes
>> the same between NTSC and PAL. Personally I use 640x576 or 480x576.
>

> Do I need to make the ratio 4:3 when choosing resolutions?

No. You do want to set the height to match the number of scan
lines so that it will sample each scan line once. Each scan
line is an analog signal so the sample rate doesn't matter.
On playback, the image is be fit to your 4:3 display area so
it doesn't matter what the aspect ratio was during recording.

--  bjm