[mythtv-users] Shuttle SK41G sound problem

Steven Marcotte sdmarcotte at comcast.net
Fri Dec 19 15:31:38 EST 2003

On Thu, 2003-12-18 at 12:15, Joseph A. Caputo wrote:
> On Thursday 18 December 2003 11:59, Steven Marcotte wrote:
> > ARRRGHHHH!  I need help.
> >
> > I'm setting up a new Myth box and I have a problem with the sound.
> > The TV card is a generic BT8x8 card without a DSP, so the internal
> > audio out on the TV card to the CD in on the motherboard.  The
> > hardware seems to works fine; I can use aplay to play sounds through
> > the ALSA driver, I can use xawtv to watch TV with sound.  I can not,
> > however, start xawtv, mute the CD in, and successfully execute 'aplay
> > /dev/dsp'.
>
> This may be for one of 3 reasons:
> - You need to set the CD as the capture input in your mixer
> - CD is the capture device, but 'muting' it sets the volume to 0.  Look
> for a separate slider for the 'Capture' volume.
> - Your card/driver doesn't support full duplex (ie, simultaneous record/
> playback
>
> For the first 2 issues, see below.  For the third, you either need new
> drivers, a new sound card, or both.
>

> > This is where it gets weird.  If I start watching Live TV, and I set
> > the volume to 50%, the CD to only 5%, and unmute the CD in, it is
> > distorted and LOUD, VERY VERY LOUD!  I'm talking blood from the ears
> > loud!  The audio that is played is the raw audio feed, it is not in
> > sync with the video.
> >
> > xawtv doesn't have this problem, I can set the volume to 50% and the
> > CD to 100% and it is a nice respectable listening level; in fact, it
> > is almost too quite.
> >
> > I originally tried Gentoo with a few different kernels and the ALSA
> > 0.98 drivers, with no luck.  I thought maybe the problem was my
> > aggressive CFLAGS so I installed KnopMyth R4.  Still no luck.
> >
> > Anyone have any suggestions?
> >
> > HARDWARE
> > Shuttle SK41G
> > AthlonXP 2400+
> > 512MB PC2700
> > Maxtor 120 GB HDD
> > Generic BT8x8 based card
> >
> > SOFTWARE
> > KnopMyth R4
> > via82xx ALSA driver
> > bttv video driver
>

> Okay, here's what MIGHT be going on:
>
> When using Xawtv, 3 mixer controls affect the overall volume:  'CD' and
> 'Master Volume', plus the output volume of your tuner card (technically
> not a mixer slider, but you get the idea).  When *recording* with
> MythTV, the controls 'CD' (possibly plus a separate 'Capture' slider,
> depending on your sound card/driver/mixer app) and the output volume of
> your tuner card affect the volume of the encoded file.  When *playing
> back* with Myth (either playing back a recorded program or LiveTV),
> there is a change:  the 'CD' (and 'Capture') controls do not affect the
> output volume of the playback, but 'Master Volume' and 'PCM' do.
>
> To properly adjust your volume, you should adjust the playback and
> recording volumes separately.  To adjust your playback volume, use
> something like mplayer + a DVD or ripped movie (a known good file), and
> [...]

I took your advice and played with the sound levels for different
programs and this is what I came up with.

For mplayer, setting the volume and PCM to 60% results in a nice quiet
level, no distortion.  I can push it up to 100% and although it is very
very loud, it is not really distorted at all.

With xawtv, setting the volume and CD IN to 75% results in a nice level
with no distortion.  PCM has no effect, and can be set to 0%.  If I
crank the CD IN to 100%, you can hear a very slight high pitch tone in
the background.  I'm attributing that to radio interference from the
processor.

Here is the sound setup for MythTV.  The backend is configured to
capture audio from /dev/dsp @ 32000Hz.  (/dev/dsp is owned by the
via82xx ALSA driver)  The frontend is configured as:

Output device: /dev/adsp
Mixer device: /dev/mixer
Mixer Controls: PCM
Master volume: 25
PCM Mixer volume: 25

When the system boots, the sound levels are set with aumix as follows:

aumix -v 70 -c 0 -c R -w 70 -m 0

This configuration with MythTV just blows you away; it is loud and
distorted.  If I open aumix and set the volume and PCM levels to 3%, the
sound level is barely audible, but still distorted.

It's hard to judge, but it seems like watching live TV is more distorted
than watching a recording of the same show.  Transcoding a recording and
playing it on another computer plays loud and distorted as well.

Are there any other audio settings that I have over looked?

Quattro