[mythtv-users] Live TV ("Waited 2 seconds...") freeze does notoccur when using mpeg4

bobnvic at everestkc.net bobnvic at everestkc.net
Fri Dec 19 15:20:11 EST 2003

Alan Snyder wrote:
> > > Try this (suggested by someone else):  Start live
> TV,
> > > pause for as close as you can to exactly 30
> seconds.
> > > Come back in a few hours.  Does the frontend no
> longer
> > > freeze?  Is it still 30 seconds behind?  Someone
> > > suggested that their system never froze when
> watching
> > > a bit behind in the ringbuffer.
> >
> > I didn't believe this could possibly be true, but I
> did
> > it last night and it went all night and all day
> today on
> > Live TV, 30 seconds behind, without any problem.
> > Previously, it would get hung with the "waited 2
> seconds.."
> > issue within 2-3 hours at most.
> >
> > I would think that this would indicate that the
> problem is
> > at least partially within MythTV and not just a
> driver or
> > other externel issue.  Are there any buffering
> adjustments
> > we can make that may help those of us with this
> problem?
>
> After the all-night success, was it still 30 seconds
> behind?

I didn't look to see how far behind it was.  I changed
channels, paused 30 secs and it went another 3 hours
without freezing.  My wife then changed the channel and
didn't pause it, and it froze with "waiting 2 sec..."
within about 15 minutes.

> I agree that the frontend should recover from whatever
> underlying problem is causing this.  There has been
> some
> mention in other threads (the "rebuffering" threads)
> that
> indicate that some broken pipes and other
> backend-frontend
> communication problems are not yet handled ideally,
> but
> are being worked on in the current CVS.

I'm using CVS from Dec 6th, I may update to current this
weekend and see how it is.

Bob C