[mythtv-users] wireless keyboards

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Fri Dec 19 14:47:47 EST 2003

On Friday 19 December 2003 13:20, chris.rickert at mchsi.com wrote:
> Thanks for everyone's input on wireless keyboards/mice.  My next
> question is:
>
> How hard is the Gyration combo to setup on a stock Mandrake 9.1
> mythbox.  Will it be recognized right away or is there some tweaking
> incvolved.
>
> I read another thread where some people had to modify xfree config
> and such.

The Gyration (or any USB keyboard & mouse) is very easy to set up.  It
*may* require a kernel recompile if your kernel doesn't have USB HID
support enabled, but I would think most modern distros would have that
enabled by default.

Beyond that, to get it working under X, it's just a matter of a few
lines in your XF86Config file to get it working.

Here is a document that may help you out:

http://www.linux-usb.org/USB-guide/x194.html

> Does anyone have experience with the Gyration set under Mandrake?
>
> I've already tried out the Logitech Duo but I'm not too impressed for
> what I got for 75 bucks.  I may consider exchanging it for the
> Gyration since I've seen such a good report by the Myth users.
>
> I also read in another thread about some keyboard codes for the
> gyration keyboard.  ARe those specific to the gyration wireless
> keyboard or do they work for all wireless keyboards?  What have
> people done to enable this to work with myth?

Do you mean codes for the 'special' buttons (mail, web, etc)?  I haven't
come across anything, though I vaguely recall a posting about it
somewhere... I think I ignored it since my setup was in for RMA at the
time.

-JAC