[mythtv-users] Looking for USB modem suggestions to work with Myth .13

Ken Bass kbass at kenbass.com
Fri Dec 19 14:33:28 EST 2003

USB modem support for linux is really tough. Many USB
modems that are sold are WINMODEMS - they don't work
because they need special drivers.

There is a USB standard for talking to modems over USB
called the "Universal Serial Bus Communication Device Class
 33 Abstract Control Model (USB CDC ACM)". If a modem meets this standard
(and very few do) the linux kernel can communicate using an 'ACM' kernel
driver.

>From Documentation/acm.txt in the kernel source:

   3Com OfficeConnect 56k
   3Com Voice FaxModem Pro
   3Com Sportster
   MultiTech MultiModem 56k
   Zoom 2986L FaxModem
   Compaq 56k FaxModem
   ELSA Microlink 56k

However I'm not sure if they even make most of these modems anymore. You'd
be alot better off investing in a new power strip and getting a cheap
external modem.