[mythtv-users] "watch recordings" menu -- 900 program limit?, and slow to generate

Eric Wemhoff ericlw at hotpop.com
Fri Dec 19 02:22:01 EST 2003

Sorry, I was away again last week.  I should be home for a while now.

> With as many recordings as you have, I don't think you'll ever catch
> up! :)

Yes, sadly.  But I feel okay about it as long as I've got them saved
and there's the possibility, however remote, of some day watching
them.

> Switching to a QValueVector isn't really practical.  However, the
> following patch should show some improvement.  Please note this is
> against current CVS so you'll probably have to adapt it a little.  The
> only tricky part is the double increment after the decodeLongLong.
>
> If it shows sufficient improvement for you, I'll make a more complete
> version for CVS that will be even faster.

I grabbed cvs just now (12/18, around 9pm).  I see the patch you
suggested in the last message is in there.

And it's a HUGE improvement.

The menu-generating time for me went from about 17 to less than 2
seconds.  Almost speedy!  So it's the indexing operation.  Guess it
pays to understand something about how data types are implemented.  I
thought the problem was all the string formatting going on in
FromStringList and was all set to work up some way to do this only
once per record in the database per instantiation of mythfrontend, or
something.  You also don't have to query the whole 'recorded' table
each time this way.  Seems like it could be lightning fast, but also
quite a bit of work.

Anyway thanks.

-Eric