[mythtv-users] [OT] 2.6.0

Albert Santoni gamegod at sympatico.ca
Thu Dec 18 22:03:01 EST 2003

Oh man, I just finished installing 2.6.0 on Mandrake 9.2.
It was a crapload of work, and it wasn't worth it, but it's sure cool to
say I'm running 2.6.0...

For anyone thinking about making the jump, here's 3 invaluable links:
http://kerneltrap.org/node/view/799
http://www.mathcs.concord.edu/~ik/
http://thomer.com/linux/migrate-to-2.6.html

... and yes, you have to download a hacked Nvidia driver to make X work
in 2.6... yay! (I can't get it to load at startup... but it works after
I insmod it)

... and once you go to 2.6, you can't go back (after you install the new
modutils thingy... )

Oh, and before today, I had never recompiled a single kernel. Now I'm a
kernel expert (uhh... not really)... but if you think Myth is hard, this
is also a nice challenge.

Oh, and does anyone know how to use the new /etc/modprobe.conf instead
of /etc/modules.conf? I have no idea...