[mythtv-users] Re:Re:LIRC problem

Tony Maro tony at maro.net
Wed Dec 17 10:00:57 EST 2003

Steve Hall wrote:

>When I do an:
>
>irrecord accent.conf or a irrecord -f accent.conf
>
>I get the same error, which is saying that nothing has been received for 10
>seconds, and it aborts.

First, try using mode2 to see if it's actually sensing signals but
unable to interpret them:

mode2 -d /dev/lirc/serial   (or whatever yours is)

While mode2 is running, point your remote at the sensor and hit a few
buttons.  Numbers should scroll past the screen.  If no numbers scroll
past then your hardware isn't working right, or your can't access your
serial port in Linux.  I think you run mode2 without lircd running.

If you DO see numbers, but irrecord isn't working, try forcing it to use
raw mode with -f:

irrecord -f -d /dev/lirc/serial lircd.conf

(I think the above line is correct...)  If raw mode works, then you're
set, but with only about half the range as not using raw.  Try a
different remote without raw mode.  I use a universal remote and many of
the codes won't work properly without raw mode.

This is assuming the kernel module is loading without errors.

If you don't get numbers scrolling with mode2, make sure your diode is
installed the correct direction.  It will do exactly what you are seeing
if it's backwards...

-Tony Maro