[mythtv-users] Homebrew YPrPb/NTSC transcoder?

papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu
Wed Dec 17 07:54:47 EST 2003

	Hello all... Now that I've got a mythtv-0.13 system set up, I'm trying
to get the most out of it.  Sorry that this is off-topic a bit.

	 My new roomate has an HDTV-ready set with component in, and I like the
idea of using a real, honest-to-goodness modeline out of the VGA port to drive
the TV.  I've been scouring the 'net for some good plans to build a transcoder,
but figured I'd ask here too, in case anyone knows.

	I'm looking to build a "Swiss army knife" transcoder.  Takes VGA in,
loops VGA back out, and provides component out (YPbPr), but also provides
composite and S-Video out.  The second circuit (composite) is easy, since it's
all done in the AD724 chip.  The first I've got issues with:

	Does anyone know why all the plans for transcoders on the 'net have H/V
sync generators (one-shot timers, delayed logic gates, etc)?  Why can't it just
use the sync pulse from a custom modeline off the VGA port?  Also, does anyone
know where to find the specs for sync pulse length for HDTV modelines?

Thanks for any advice:
-Cory

* The prime directive of Linux:  					*
* 	- learn what you don't know, 					*