[mythtv-users] New MythBox H/W Check - 7NIF2/A7N8X-VM/7NIL1 + 512MB/80GB/PVR-250/A106SB Case/200W PSU

Anthony Lau anthony at greyweasel.com
Tue Dec 16 18:30:13 EST 2003

On Mon, Dec 15, 2003 at 11:48:32AM -0700, pvrman at xemaps.com wrote:
> Hi Sean,
>
> Thanks very much for your feedback and words of encouragement  :)
>
> I like the features of the Shuttle M31N in general, but I see a couple
> of problems with this (for me). First of all, it has two VGA outs, which
> I really don't need ... and in order to make room for the second VGA
> out, they have removed the serial port, which I do plan to use (in case
> the Hauppauge remote doesn't work and I need to use IRMan). Looking at
> the detailed specs
> (http://www.shuttle.com/share/product_data/spec/MN31N_DM.pdf) I see that
> they have headers for two serial ports, and it seems a serial port
> bracket is included in the package (see picture here --
> http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage.asp?image=13-150-041-02.JPG/13-150-041-01.JPG/13-150-041-03.JPG/13-150-041-04.JPG)
> but that means I will have to give up a precious PCI slot in order to make
> way for the serial port bracket.

Don't think you will have any problems with getting either the Hauppage
Grey or the Black remote working. The instructions from IVTV, mythtv, and
LIRC are enough to get a working setup.

1) Compile kernel with i2c support
2) Compile 0.7pre2 lirc modules
3) Install lircd packages, run lircd
4) Use lirc-g.conf from ivtv package for grey, lirc.conf for black
5a) Use native .lircrc if you can (compiling mythtv with support)
5b) Run irxevent and use the corresponding .lircrc (setup I use)

> This being a micro atx board, I am already running short of PCI slots,
> so I would prefer to use as little number of brackets as possible; for
> which it is essential that the mobo back panel include most (if not all)
> of the connectors I am looking for, namely S-Video, SPDIF out, VGA, COM
> port, analog sound, PS/2 KB/Mouse, USB, Parallel Port etc.

I can't think of a single nForce2 IGP mATX board with S-Video in
the back panel *AND* Firewire. I've been looking for a mATX myself
and all I can find are ones with brackets. The closest one I found was
AOPEN MK79G-1394 which has headers for TV-Out and SPDIF in/out, but
doesn't seem to include the headers with the box.

If you don't care for firewire, the Leadtek WinFast K7nCR18GM
which has a single bracket with tv-out, SPDIF out (no in),
and another VGA.

I've personally given up on finding a mATX motherboard with all
the "Deluxe" features that I wanted (zalman compatible, 1394,
tv-out). I'll probably go with a full ATX setup that includes a
HTPC case and a Leadtek WinFast K7NCR18G-ProII or switch up to a
Ultra400 chipset.

As for support, I've read that nForce2 boards needs to have their
APCI disable in the BIOS or kernel (need to check the archives)
for mythtv to be stable.  None of the mATX boards have anything
too exotic. Obviously, things like SoundStorm(tm) might not work
in linux, but you'll still get the basic support. Dunno if SATA
RAID works in linux, either. I think for the basics, all the
motherboards should be about the same for support.

Anthony