[mythtv-users] pcHDTV - 2 questions

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Tue Dec 16 04:15:48 EST 2003

On Nov 6, 2003, at 05:06, Doug Larrick wrote:

> On 11/06/03 01:35:16, Jarod C. Wilson wrote:
>> For starters, the GF4MX won't output any interlaced modelines, so
>> 1920x1080i is out. My set doesn't do 720p, so that was out for me.
>> Next step down is a 540p modeline, which is basically electronically
>> equivalent to 1080i, if you do 1920x540p. However, I couldn't ever
>> get that rez to take, so I backed off to 960x540p, and it works just
>> fine. Everything gets scaled down a bit and you lose some definition,
>> but the picture still beats the pants off S-Video and/or NTSC. From
>> what I understand, 960x540p seems to be the norm for folks using
>> GF4-class video cards w/HDTV, though you may have to tweak the sync
>> pulse for your set. I'm pretty confident you'd be able to come up
>> with a modeline that worked, derived from either mine or Ian Forde's.
>
> What he said.  I'll add that I *was* able to get 1920x540 to work on
> my set -- just double the dotclock and all the horizontal paramaters.
> Myth is not happy -- it's not scaling H and V separately for the video
> out -- but I hope to work on fixing that.

Over a month later, I finally got around to trying out doubling the
values like you said, and I did indeed get a mostly-working 1920x540
modeline. I need to try one more thing, because I think the presence of
my 960x540 modeline was setting a rez of 960x540, with a virtual rez of
1920x540, so I had to scroll side-to-side like mad. I'm guessing
pulling out the 960x540 altogether should fix that. Any word on
adjusting Myth to scale H and V separately?

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...
     http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/