[mythtv-users] Personal Choices

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Tue Dec 16 02:27:25 EST 2003

On Dec 15, 2003, at 06:58, Dan Sully wrote:

> * Preston Crow <pc-mythtv at crowcastle.net> shaped the electrons to
> say...
>
>> The specs on the 350 clearly indicate limits to the MPEGs it will
>> handle, and those limits are well below an ATSC signal.  (Do the cards
>> have anything better than SVideo out anyway?  You can't get HDTV
>> resolutions with SVideo.)
>
> No you can't, but I can at least make them a bit better by feeding
> svideo through my iScan Ultra.

That's like trying to stream a full-resolution DVD over a 56K modem.
There's almost no point to doing something like that... If all you can
do is S-Video out, you'll never get anything appreciably better than
what can be carried over S-Video, and what can be carried over S-Video
is a FAR cry from HDTV. Crap (NTSC video) all dusted off and wrapped
with a nice ribbon (your iScan Ultra) is still crap. :)

>> The GeForce4 MX440 is supposed to be able to do full hardware MPEG-2
>> decoding, but the Linux drivers only support the motion compensation,
>> not the full MPEG, so it's still CPU-intensive.  Or at least that's my
>> summary of a bunch of stuff I've read here.
>>
>> Even with full hardware MPEG decoding in the video card, you would
>> have
>> to use the CPU to do the audio.  My guess is that in theory, you could
>> build an EPIA-based system and it would have enough power to do that,
>> but not without the non-existant drivers.
>
> The audio should be sent over spdif without any decoding, your
> reciever should handle that.

Correct.

> I really wish pcHDTV made a "display" card as well.

That would be nice. But my Audio Authority 9A60 does the job quite
nicely, and the pcHDTV folks didn't have to add to their hardware
costs, write video drivers, etc.

>> My guess is that we'll see an EPIA motherboard in about a year's time
>> that has on-board HDTV video.  (Just a guess based on my perceptions
>> of
>> the demand for the product and the technical feasibility.)
>
> I agree - I just don't want to wait that long. ;)

See my previous message in this thread... ;p

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...
     http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/