[mythtv-users] Multi frontend question

Dennis Cartier pvr at trigger.net
Mon Dec 15 23:27:32 EST 2003

Hi Rob,

Rob Booth wrote:
> I've got a question based on this setup.
>
> 1 backend server with 2 or more tuner cards.
> 2 or more frontends.
>
> Now lets say the frontend 1 is watching live tv on tuner 1, what is in
> place to stop frontend 2 from changing the channel that tuner 1 is
> currently tuned to?

When a frontend is using a backend's tuner, the master backend does not
allow another frontend to make use of it. The master keeps everyone civil.

If you are watching Live TV, and a program is scheduled to be recorded.
Assuming you are all out of free tuners, the master will prompt you to
give up the use of your tuner, to allow the recording to proceed as
scheduled.

> What about frontend 1 watching  a recorded show, and frontend 2 wanting
> to watch the same show but at a different place in the recording.  I'm
> assuming that this isn't a problem since the file exists and could
> easily be served to both frontends.

This is not a problem assuming you have enough network bandwidth and
hard drive I/O.

> But given the above scenario, what if frontend 1 decides to delete the
> show when they are finished watching it, but frontend 2 is still
> watching the show?  Would the show be marked to be deleted?  Would the
> user on frontend 1 be denied?

Not sure on this one. I have never tried to do it. I will have to test
this out. I assume the master backend would also prevent the programs
from being deleted while it was in use.

Dennis