[mythtv-users] .13 xinerama and horizontal

Doug Larrick doug at ties.org
Mon Dec 15 17:54:02 EST 2003

On 12/15/03 17:36:45, Lance Simmons wrote:

> Breaking support for Xinerama sounds like a pretty good argument
> against changing how MythTV reads the screen's size.  Do you know why
> it was done?

To enable working with displays that do not have square pixels, like
some HDTVs.  Note that it didn't break *all* Xinerama setups; I did
test with my nVidia card.

> What do you mean by my "driver's" Xinerama support?  What kind of
> driver are you talking about?

Your XFree86 driver for your video card.  What video card do you have?

> Do you mean running on different virtual terminals?

No, I mean everything the same but with the line enabling Xinerama
commented out in your XF86Config-4 file.  You will get :0.0 and :0.1
displays; run Myth on one of them and your normal X stuff on the other.
You may have to run two versions of your window manager depending on
whether it natively supports this older way of handling two heads.

-Doug