[mythtv-users] Personal Choices

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Mon Dec 15 03:11:28 EST 2003

On Dec 14, 2003, at 16:14, Dan Sully wrote:

> * Jarod C. Wilson <jcw at wilsonet.com> shaped the electrons to say...
>
>> I think a bare minimum system to be able to play back a High-Def
>> stream
>> is around 1.8GHz with hardware-assistance (from a GF4MX or FX series
>> card), but even that is less than perfect. One of the pcHDTV gurus on
>> the list recommends a bare minimum of a 2.6GHz system, but preferably
>> 3.0GHz P4 w/HyperThreading. (For reference, the X-Box has a paltry
>> 733MHz processor).
>
> Since an ATSC/HDTV stream is just MPEG2 (TS/PS), shouldn't a PVR-350
> be able to offload the CPU?

I don't believe it supports ATSC resolutions, but I could be mistaken.
Whether that's an implementation issue or a sheer processing power
issue, I don't know.

> I was considering having a EPIA M10000 as my front end, with the
> backend
> having a pcHDTV card and the storage array. But if the EPIA isn't up
> to it
> even with a 350, I'll need to reconsider.

Someone else will have to chime in here for a definitive answer, but
I'm about 99% certain the PVR-350 can't do a lick with an ATSC stream,
and probably never will. One of the issues is that to use the 350's
decoder, you have to use its video out, which is limited to NTSC/PAL,
so you wouldn't ever be able to output a High-Def resolution anyhow.

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...