[mythtv-users] Personal Choices

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Mon Dec 15 03:07:49 EST 2003

On Dec 14, 2003, at 15:06, Philippe Daoust wrote:

> I'm confused...  The X-Box Linux website
> (http://xbox-linux.sourceforge.net/news_archive.php) recently announced
> support for 480p and 720p HDTV modes.  Is this because Myth doesn't
> actually
> take full advantage of the HW on the XBOX?

They can output those modes, meaning you can spit out a 480p or 720p
progressive scan signal to your HDTV. But just because they can display
those modes doesn't mean they can decode an HD stream. It simply means
you can have a nice 1280x720p modeline outputting everything to your HD
display from your X-Box Linux system. For example, I output a 960x540p
signal from my MythTV box through a VGA->Component Video adapter for
everything (desktop, shell, mythfrontend, dvd playback, etc.), but
that's just the video signal, it isn't an HD stream. I can decode an HD
stream and display it over that signal, producing a very good picture,
but my processor is an Athlon XP 2600, and is being heavily taxed by
that process.

Long story short, being able to do an HD display mode doesn't mean you
can decode HD content. The X-Box is more or less a PIII-733 with a 64MB
GeForce 3 and 64 MB of system memory, if my own memory serves me right.
Linux takes advantage of it as well as it can. The system just flat-out
doesn't have enough juice to do anything HD. DVD, yes, but DVD is about
1/4 the resolution of a full HD stream.

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...