[mythtv-users] New MythBox H/W Check - 7NIF2/A7N8X-VM/7NIL1 + 512MB/80GB/PVR-250/A106SB Case/200W PSU

pvrman at xemaps.com pvrman at xemaps.com
Mon Dec 15 02:39:38 EST 2003

Hi All,

I am new to MythTV and fairly inexperienced in Linux in general. I am in the process of building (actually still researching, but close to start building) a new MythTV box (primarily for TV recording). I may use the other modules of MythTV in the future, but for the time being I mostly want to watch and record TV and may be use the Weather module from time to time. I have recently found this list and wanted to check with you guys if my hardware selection looks okay.

As mentioned above, I don't have much experience with Linux, but I have a fair amount of experience in building PCs. For my new MythTV box, I want to get up and running with as little effort as possible, and hence I have been reading this list quite a bit to figure out which hardware configuration and Linux distro is likely to give me the least headache. Here is what I have come up with so far. Please give me feedback if you know about /any/ known issues with /any/ of the items below alongwith other possible alternatives, if you know of any.

* Motherboard - ASUS A7N8X-VM -or- Chaintech 7NIF2 -or- Chaintech 7NIL1 (please see below)
  (A7N8X-VM Specs -- http://www.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=A7N8X-VM&langs=01#)
  (7NIF2 Specs -- http://www.chaintechusa.com/tw/eng/product_spec.asp?MPSNo=13&PISNo=15)
  (7NIL1 Specs -- http://www.chaintechusa.com/tw/eng/product_spec.asp?MPSNo=13&PISNo=14)

* Processor - AMD Athlon XP 2000+ (Palomino core) with Alpha PAL8045 heatsink
* Video/Audio/Network - Prefer to use on-board support, but can use an AGP nVidia Video card if necessary
* Memory - 512MB PC2100 RAM (as a single stick ... can add another 512MB stick if dual channel RAM is /that/ much better)
* Hard Disk - 80GB Maxtor 7200RPM (DiamondMax Plus 9 series). Will add a second 200GB disk later.
* Vid Capture Card - Hauppauge WinTV PVR 250 (retail box with remote control)
* Case - Athenatech A106SB case (note: this only supports micro-atx mobo)
  (Case Spec -- http://www.athenatech.us/Brouchures/A106.pdf)
* Power Supply - 200W PSU that comes with the case

* Optical Drive - LiteOn 52x CD-RW drive ... may upgrade to a DVD ROM drive later
* Floppy - prefer not to use one, but can use if it is deemed absolutely essential
* IR Device - I prefer to use the PVR-250 remote if that works well with Myth. But I have a spare IRMan that I can use if necessary.
* Linux Distro - I will be using RH 9.0 and will follow Jarod's instructions, since that seems to be the most failproof way to get up and running quickly

The area where I need the most amount of feedback is in motherboard selection. I prefer to go with the ASUS A7N8X-VM board simply because I have had very good luck with ASUS A7N8X Deluxe boards before (in Windows though) ... but if the Chaintech board is considered more hassle free for MythTV use, then I will go with that. I see that Jarod also wanted to go ahead with the ASUS board at first, but later decided to go ahead with the Chiantech board.

I understand that the ASUS board doesn't include the S-Video and SPDIF brackets and these need to be purchased separately. However, this additional cost is NOT my primary concern. What I really want is maximum support under Linux for onboard accessories (e.g. audio, ethernet, video, USB/IEEE1394, I/O etc.) ... so whichever board is considered better in that respect, will earn my business.

Based on better Myth/Linux support, if anyone wants to suggest a different motherboard, I am very willing to listen and possibly change my selection. The only three constraints I have are --

- It MUST be an AMD board that supports AXP2000+ and above (266MHz FSB)
- it MUST be a Micro-ATX form factor
- should PREFERABLY be based on the nForce2 chipset

Other than these, if the board has on board video that is good, but this is not necessary at all. I have two spare nVidia video cards that I can use in this system (one is GeForce2 Ti200 w/64MB another GeForce4 Ti4200 w/128MB).

I see that the Chaintech 7NIL1 board is almost identical to the 7NIF2 board, only lacking onboard video and has 4 channel sound as opposed to 6 channels ... but about $20 cheaper as well. What do you guys think about this board ? Since this doesn't have onboard video, I will have to use either the GeForce3 Ti200 or GeForce4 Ti4200 card ... which is okay with me as long as these are well supported by RH 9.0

Thanks very much for ANY feedback about my configuration ! Like I said, I am VERY open to suggestions about ANY of the above components, and will highly appreciate any feedback about known issues or other possible choices.

Thanks once again and wish you all happy holidays !

pvrman at xemaps dot com