[mythtv-users] Newbie Questions

Robert Kulagowski bob at smalltime.com
Sun Dec 14 22:09:54 EST 2003

> 1. Using MythTV on the XBOX, can I control live TV from a PC running
> the MythTV backend with a tuner card (I am going to be using 2
> PVR-350's and 1 PVR-250 probably in 3 different PCs)?

Yes.  The frontend will tell the backend: "Change the channel" and it will.

 > 2. Will the XBOX
> v.12 play nice with the latest v.13 if I install v.13 on a PC? The
> docs suggest not doing this.

Don't mix versions.  Bad things happen.

> 3. Fix Scheduling Conflicts: I see this
> as an option via the screenshots on the website. I intend to have
> multiple MythTVs on the network (see #1 above). I am curious if
> MythTV automatically assigns a conflicting request to another MythTV
> PC on the network or is this task a manual one?

There's one master backend and as many slave backends and frontends as
you want.  The master hands out all the encoding jobs to the slave
backends, so if there are enough tuners to record everything you want,
then everything will get recorded.  If there aren't enough tuners, you
can either manually over-ride and specify what should get recorded, or
if you have setup program rankings/channel rankings the system will
automatically record stuff without needing to manually override.
Anyway, you can control all of this from any frontend.

> If it is manual, can
> MythTV PC #1 "see" MythTV PC #2 or does the user need to go into the
> other room to access MythTV #2?

Yes, and no, you don't need to de-conflict by going to each backend.
Everything talks to the master backend.

> Does this mean shows recorded on PC #1 come up automatically as
> available on PC #2?

Yes.

Your last question dealt with DVDs, which I don't use, so I'll let
someone else answer those questions.