[mythtv-users] Personal Choices

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Sun Dec 14 17:17:52 EST 2003

On Dec 14, 2003, at 03:45, Myth Man wrote:

> Thanx for the input, Jarod.

No problem.

> Looking at the hardware (tuners) themselves.  What would you
> recommend?  Both my TVs are HD ready, so I want to get HD if possible.

The only HD tuner out there with Linux drivers (so far as I know) is
the pcHDTV. I've got one myself.

> I am assuming that the tuners is all I need for the backend.
> Yea, I know what happens when ya make an assumption. Ya make
> an ass out of u and umption.  :)

But your assumption is actually correct. :)

> I read the hardware guides, but was a tad cornfused about what
> was for the front end or the back end.

Again, you're correct, tuners go in the backend. But you can also have
tuners in multiple backends, and frontends running on systems with or
without local backends... Yeah, it can be a tad confusing! ;)

My production system hooked to my TV is the master backend and primary
frontend, and coincidentally, is also hooked to a High-Definition TV
(via a VGA to Component Video adapter).

> As I said earlier, I plan on using 2 XBOXs on my LAN as the front ends
> for the TVS in question.

Hrm... The X-Box doesn't have anywhere near enough power to decode and
display a High-Definition stream. It's just fine for standard-def TV,
but its no-go for HD. I think you may need to go back to the drawing
board for a spell...

I think a bare minimum system to be able to play back a High-Def stream
is around 1.8GHz with hardware-assistance (from a GF4MX or FX series
card), but even that is less than perfect. One of the pcHDTV gurus on
the list recommends a bare minimum of a 2.6GHz system, but preferably a
3.0GHz P4 w/HyperThreading. (For reference, the X-Box has a paltry
733MHz processor).

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...