[mythtv-users] Transcoding overhead, could use some advice...

Curtis Wood curtis at penguinbrat.com
Sun Dec 14 14:54:52 EST 2003

   Is there anyway to speed up the process of transcoding, currently it
is taking hours to transcode. a 2hr movie transcoded to the highest
format is taking from 4-6+ hours to finish. Im running the backend and
frontend  on the same machine, while it is transcoding I can't record -
let alone transcode another recording (other wise the frontent locks
up)... I realize that this may be a CPU intensive task (which it is,
jumps the load up to 3.0-5.0) - but it doesnt seem to make a difference
(in time) whether anything else is running or not, as in watching live
tv...
   Im running everything on a P4 2.4 ghz, 256mg ram (could be an issue),
all on top of GenToo... Im still on 0.12, waiting for the transcoding to
finish so I can compile 0.13 - its been processing since 7:30 this
morning (roughly 7hrs)...

TIA,
Curtis