[mythtv-users] New user questions

Phil Bridges phil at gravityhammer.com
Sun Dec 14 13:44:08 EST 2003

I have recently come about a 27" Princeton Graphics 800x600 monitor, and I
feel the urge to exploit it by setting up a MythTV box.  Currently, I run a
menagerie of windows-based software to do my HTPC functions.  Can MythTV
replace all of these (and what improvement or loss of quality or ease would
I have)?

*  DVD playback - PowerDVD
*  TV tuning / recording / EPG - ATI software
*  MP3 playback - Winamp
*  CD-ripping - Exact Audio Copy
*  CD-burning - Nero
*  Remote control - Girder

One issue I am concerned about is Girder.  I know I can use my remote
control with LiRC, but I also use Girder to control (via direct serial port)
my Yamaha receiver.  Is LiRC capable of doing this?

My other questions are hardware-related.  What I plan to start off with is
the following hardware:

AMD 1600+
640MB PC133
SiS 8MB AGP video card
smallish hard drive
AOpen AW850D sound card w/ optical S/PDIF in/out
ATI TV-Wonder card

Ultimately, I'd like to replace the ATI with two or three Haupagge PVR-250
cards.  Will this system be sufficient for my immediate needs?  Will I be
able to use the digital output of the sound card to carry AC-3 output?  Will
I be able to use the S-Video in on my TV-Wonder to patch through my PS2 or
(ugh) VCR?

Thanks in advance for the assistance.