[mythtv-users] Fedora with Jarod's instructions?

steve at nexusuk.org steve at nexusuk.org
Sun Dec 14 10:11:13 EST 2003

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003, Jarod C. Wilson wrote:

> Like Axel said, care to try patching that into his kernel also? :)

Unfortunately I don't have the time ATM :(

> I'd still like to try it out myself, though. I think I've got a spare
> PIII-800 at work I could do some experimenting on (along with a bttv
> card, to really stress-test it)...

I've been hacking MythTV this morning to open files with the O_STREAMING
flag set for kernels with the O_STREAMING patch
(http://kerneltrap.org/node/view/460).  It basically tells the kernel that
the file is streamed data and so shouldn't be cached.  The idea being that
if you're streaming a large quantity of data then caching it isn't going
to be useful, and doing so only wipes out useful data from the cache.  It
makes the frontend far more responsive after finishing watching TV since
most of the files the frontend uses are still in the cache instead of
being wiped out by the streamed TV.

I'll post a patch after I've tested it a bit more.

> Is that a ProSavage 4, 8, DDR? I have a board with a DDR, and the video
> flat-out sucks. Incredibly unimpressive and very NOT savage, by
> comparison to either an nVidia or ATi card. (I think it *might* be on
> par with a TNT2...)

ProSavage8 KM266/KL266

I'm not using a dedicated TV output - I'm just feeding the VGA RGB signal
into the TV (a transistor and 4 resistors across the H/V sync pins on the
VGA port to give my composite sync whcih the TV can use, and soem custom
modelines in X).  The picture quality is very good.

I decided to keep clear of the nVidia cards because their TV outputs
really suck and the driver doesn't support interlacing so I can't drive
the TV directly off the VGA connection.

--

 - Steve                                             http://www.nexusuk.org/

        *** Presented in DoubleVision (Where Drunk) - Futurama ***