[mythtv-users] Fedora with Jarod's instructions?

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Sun Dec 14 03:57:35 EST 2003

Like Axel said, care to try patching that into his kernel also? :)

> I did try Arjan's 2.6 kernel and I found the performance of Myth under
> it
> absolutely abysmal, so I'm keeping clear of 2.6 on my Myth box ATM.

Hm... Guess I'll just steer clear of that for now also... :-\

>> How "huge" is this difference between the stock FC kernel and your
>> own?
>
> A very marked improvement - watching LiveTV (RTJpeg, quality 200 with
> PCM
> audio) was really bad under the stock kernel - lots of dropped frames,
> frequently a complete loss of AV sync, etc.  Now it's almost flawless
> (having a problem with playback freezing for a few seconds sometimes
> ATM
> but I don't think that's kernel related).

Ah, I'm seeing a few major differences in our setups... I'm using
hardware encoder cards, so much less CPU demand to begin with, no AV
sync issues, etc.

>> Also, what hardware are you seeing the "huge" difference on? I'm
>> doubtful the instantaneity of my Athlon XP 2600 will get any more
>> instantaneous. :) I believe the real benefits will show better on
>> lesser hardware.
>
> :)
> I'm running a Athlon XP 2000+ with BTTV card, outputting onto the
> onboard
> S3 ProSavage VGA card.

Athlon XP 2600 w/PVR-250 and AVerMedia M179, outputting w/64MB GeForce
4 MX.

> (I decided to not go above the 2000 to keep the
> temperature (and fan noise) down

Well, mine's near dead silent even with all that... But anyhow, I've
got more CPU power, a faster video card and hardware encoders. So not
just a case of lesser hardware, but also more CPU demand, so I guess I
can see how the preempt patch could help out more in your situation.
I'd still like to try it out myself, though. I think I've got a spare
PIII-800 at work I could do some experimenting on (along with a bttv
card, to really stress-test it)...

> also I'm thinking of getting a PVR 250
> at some point so CPU usage won't be such an issue then anyway).

Well worth it. :)

> I'm still running Myth 0.12, so an upgrade to 0.13 is on the cards this
> weekend, and I've got been given some technical data on the VGA card so
> hopefully I can add vblank interrupt support to the DRM driver this
> weekend too and get Myth syncing with the vblank properly.

Is that a ProSavage 4, 8, DDR? I have a board with a DDR, and the video
flat-out sucks. Incredibly unimpressive and very NOT savage, by
comparison to either an nVidia or ATi card. (I think it *might* be on
par with a TNT2...)

Upgrading my production system to 0.13 right now...

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...