[mythtv-users] Questions / Ideas for Semi-Advanced MythTv Setup

Jeff Monks mythtv at skunkeye.com
Sun Dec 14 01:41:15 EST 2003

> Can my existing backend play MP3s to the speakers upstairs while still
> outputting video downstairs?

The backend really doesn't have much to do with playing MP3s in MythMusic.
It doesn't "stream" the music like it does the video files in MythTV.
MythMusic just plays files it has access to (via NFS or on the local
disk).  It so happens that a common thing to do is host the MP3 files on
the backend machine (exported to frontends via NFS), but they can be
hosted anywhere.  And either way, your backend will work just fine and be
able to do all of it's TV functions while you're playing music on a remote
frontend.

> Any ideas how to remotely control the frontend/backend that will be playing
> the MP3s? Something like mythweb maybe?

If you want to remotely control it, you might want to look at one of the
dozens of web-based MP3 jukebox programs out there, rather than MythMusic.
Not that MythMusic wouldn't work here, but if you're looking for something
you can control without a head, well, MythMusic really isn't designed for
that.  Search for "mp3 jukebox" on freshmeat.net, and you'll likely find
something suitable.

You could probably just wire the sound card output on the basement
backend machine into the amp, and using one of the web-based jukeboxes to
play the MP3s on that machine.  Depending on what sound card you have, and
what capture card you're using, of course (if you're not using a hardware
encoder, then the sound card will have to be full-duplex so it can play
and record at the same time).  Then just use the Jornada to access the web
interface of the jukebox.