[mythtv-users] Re:Stuttering/slow playback with mpeg 4

Mike Smith easygreenus at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 13 22:59:55 EST 2003

I think I've found the problem.  Its my alsa drivers.
First,  I replaced the new lame version with the
version
I was using with RH8.  Still had the stutter and slow
down after five minutes.  Then I replace the alsa
drivers
with the old version.  I've watched about 4 hours of
recordings tonight without stutter.

Its possible that the problem was a combination of
lame and alsa drivers, but I doubt it.  Anyway,
my fix is:

alsa-driver-1.0.0rc1    ->  alsa-driver-0.9.2
alsa-libs-1.0.0rc1      ->  alsa-libs-0.9.2
alsa-utils-1.0.0rc1     ->  alsa-utils.0.9.2

Just in case lame plays a part in the problem, I went
backtracked from lame-3.93.1 to a version called
lame-20030311.

Just discovered something interesting.  I downloaded
the 3.93.1 version from lame web page,
http://www.mp3dev.org.  The 3.93.1 version was the
latest they had and its was dated December, 2002.
The version I had with my RH8 installation was file
labeled lame-20030311.tar.gz.  I don't know where I
got it.  I had to search the source to find that
its version 3.94.11.0.  Anyway,  I don't think lame
is causing the problem.

So,  could experiencing the stutter/slow down problem
try replacing their alsa drivers with version 0.9.2
and report back so we know that this solves the
problem?

Thanks,

Mike