[mythtv-users] Re:Stuttering/slow playback with mpeg 4

Mike Smith easygreenus at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 13 14:42:10 EST 2003

Hi,

Adding new hardware may be a work around, but its not
the solution.  Researching the archives I have found
several threads with this same symptom.

In my case,  I've been running MythTV on this system
since March without this problem.  I had been using
RH8.  Mythtv 0.12 ran for months without stuttering
playback.  Last week,  I upgraded to RH9.  Also went
with the latest versions of the required.  I first
noticed the stuttering last Monday ( 12/8 ) using
MythTV 0.12.

When it starts to stutter, I can "save position",
exit,
and re-enter the program at the same point and the
stuttering is gone.  5 - 10 minutes later,  its back.

I upgraded to MythTV 0.13 when it came out hoping it
had a fix for the problem.  No luck.

Problem accurs with programs recorded both before and
after the upgrades,  so recording is not the problem.

Looking at the prereq software,  it looks like only
the alsa and lame software could have an effect on
this stuttering problem.  I don't think XMLTV, MySQL,
the QT3 libs, or lirc could be a factor.

I booted up my RH8 partition and started watching a
movie.  Watch 50 minutes of it,  without a problem.
Rebooted my RH9 partition, watched the section of the
same movie and had the stuttering problem in 7
minutes.

I'm going to change my versions of lame and alsa and
see if that helps.

Mike