[mythtv-users] Questions / Ideas for Semi-Advanced MythTv Setup

Darren Mak mythtv at digitalweb.ca
Sat Dec 13 11:49:01 EST 2003

Hi All,

I have been running myth for over a year now, and have loved almost every
minute of it. Unlike most of my projects that I start, my Wife actually
supports this one, and gets more upset than me when things are not working
right. I want to thank everyone for all of their work, and support over the
last year.

We have been in our new house for almost a year and I am running my one
tuner card backend in my basement office, with an Xbox frontend in the Great
Room. I am soon going to be adding a frontend in the Master Bedroom. When we
built I prewired for stereo speakers in the ceiling in our Living Room and
Master Bedroom. I have a Luxman amp in the Great Room which powers the
speakers in both the Great Room and Master Bedroom. There are volume
controls in each of these rooms. Here is where the advanced setup comes in.

I want to be able to have my MP3s eminate from the speakers in both the
master bedroom and the living room but not be driven by the frontend in the
Great Room. I could either add a new frontend in the basement for only MP3
use or use the backend to play the MP3s. The speaker wiring from the
basement to the amp is not an issue. I would like to use some sort of
wireless device to select the MP3s such as a WAP device, or with a wifi
enabled HP Jornada 820 Handheld PC, which has a very large screen and runs
an early version of pocket Internet Explorer. The other Idea is to use a
3com Audrey or something like that.

First of all has anyone ever created just a MP3 frontend?

Can my existing backend play MP3s to the speakers upstairs while still
outputting video downstairs?

Any ideas how to remotely control the frontend/backend that will be playing
the MP3s? Something like mythweb maybe?

Thanks for your help and ideas!

Darren