[mythtv-users] Gentoo and ivtv - HELP!!!

Ajay Sharma ssharma at amntv.com
Fri Dec 12 15:12:23 EST 2003

On Fri, 2003-12-12 at 11:23, David Latka wrote:

> My current problem rests with installing ivtv in
> Gentoo.  emerge is great when the package is
> supported, but Im completely lost on where to even
> begin installing ivtv.  I found a few threads about
> this topic but I just dont get it.  Please help (or
> perhaps send something soft to put between my head and
> this wall)

I just did this last night, so here's my step by step (from memory so
there might be errors, read the README's and FAQ):

1) download the latest ivtv cvs tarball
   http://ivtv.sourceforge.net/CVS-LATEST.tar.gz

2) mkdir /opt/src (this is where I build all my non-portage software)

3) cd /opt/src and tar -zxvf /path/to/CVS-LATEST.tar.gz

4) cd ivtv/drivers

5) cp ../utils/videodev2.h .  (you can also patch your kernel with the
video4linux2 patches... this is much easier though...  )

6) make  (make sure this compiles cleanly before proceeding)

7) make install (this will copy the modules into
/lib/modules/kernel-version/....)

8) put this in your /etc/modules.d/ivtv file (okay, this part isn't from
memory...):

alias char-major-81-0 ivtv
options ivtv debug=1
options tuner type=2
options msp3400 once=1 simple=1
add above ivtv msp3400 saa7115 tuner

9) run 'modules-update' to rebuild the /etc/modules.conf file.

10) you should now be able to do a 'modprobe ivtv' and have it pull in
all the correct modules...

11) make sure that the modprobe works okay and then add 'ivtv' to
/etc/modules.autoload so it'll be loaded automatically when you reboot.

This is a *really* rough step by step guide, you should really go
through the README and FAQ on the site.

later,
ajay