[mythtv-users] new OSD plugin code

Tony Maro tony at maro.net
Fri Dec 12 11:45:49 EST 2003

I like the new OSD functionality.  Too bad I don't own a modem or I'd
have it doing CID.

I do however run a script on my server/firewall that watches for weather
warnings since I live in a tornado zone.  When there's a warning for my
county or those around me, it was already paging my cellphone.  It was a
simple thing to modify this to also broadcast the message to my MythTV
and display it in the Alert box.

Just an idea for those of you who are trying to come up with things to
do with that...

I also played around and made a PHP script that takes form input and
outputs it to the alert box... but I'm not saying what the URL is ;-)
Look, ma, TV Spam!  LOL

Of course there's always the ability to receive e-mail notifications,
but with so much spam today that's pretty useless if you ask me.

I imagine it would be easy to set a procmail script that triggered it
when certain people e-mailed you.

What about a MS Exchange plugin (or KOffice or PHPGroupware, etc.) that
sends appointment reminders...?

Notification that a manual transcode just finished?

What other _useful_ ideas have people come up with?

-Tony Maro