[mythtv-users] x-box as a frontend?

Matthew Daubenspeck matt at oddprocess.org
Fri Dec 12 10:28:49 EST 2003

On Thu, Dec 11, 2003 at 10:37:54PM -0500, Brian wrote:
> Does an x-box really make as good a front-end as everyone says?  From
> what I've read, people seem very happy with them.
> I'm considering getting one, in large part for running mythtv.

Yes, it works great for me, and I use 2 Xbox's as front ends...

> Does the xbox work well for other parts of the myth suite, myth-game for
> example?  Is 64M enough?

I also use it for MythMusic and MythDVD. Both work well, except
MythMusic is slow to change songs when you have a huge playlist loaded
and use the random mode. I haven't tried MythGame.

> Are newer x-boxes quiet?  Is the harddrive spinning when idle, or
> watching live or recorded TV from a backend machine, or at other
> unexpected times?

I can hear just a slight hum from the fan on my xboxes, and every once
and a while if I am listening closely, I can hear the hard drive click
when it is accessing something. It's still almost silent...

> Can the xbox DVD remote be used with myth?   Or,are there better ways to go?

Good question :)

> What in addition to the xbox (and possible modchip) is needed to get
> myth running?

As long as you do not use a brand spanking new xbox (September might be
the cutoff date), you can use the MechInstall software hack.

I use it daily and love it. Enough said :)

--
:wq!

  Matthew Daubenspeck
  http://www.oddprocess.org