[mythtv-users] PVR-250 stability

Sean shomann2 at insightbb.com
Thu Dec 11 19:42:23 EST 2003

Aran Cox wrote:

>On Wed, Dec 10, 2003 at 04:25:43PM -0500, Jeff_Mitchell at accessbusinessgroup.com wrote:
>

>>I recently (read: a month or so ago) purchased a pair of PVR-250s, and a
>>120GB hard drive to upgrade my Myth box, and I've been having some weird
>>behavior that I'm trying to track down.  Every once in a while, I get a
>>recording that's a 0-length file.  Once I get one of these, I'm unable to
>>get anything out of either card (either through Myth, or via catting to a
>>file), and I have to restart my Myth box to get things recording again.
>>Another thing that I ran into was my OS hard disk (a lowly 18GB) getting
>>filled will log messages from the ivtv driver.  I fixed this by just
>>cronning a job to kill the offending log files hourly.  (Yes, I know it's a
>>nasty hack, but it was done around Thanksgiving, and I seem to remember
>>being rushed.)
>>
>>I'm thinking this is caused by the driver getting borked somehow, and I'm
>>wondering if other people are having the same issue, or if I somehow
>>managed to screw up the driver installation.  Basically, I just need
>>someone to tell me what I'm getting isn't common, so I can get the courage
>>to hit the ivtv site, and try reinstalling the driver.
>>

>This is a much discussed issue on ivtv-devel, and you might try upgrading your
>ivtv driver.  However, since you don't mention anything about what version
>of ivtv, mythtv, kernel, or anything else, it's a little hard to say.
>
>Aran

I will just preface this by saying I am a noob, but I too have (2)
Pvr-250 OEM cards (the ones dubbed Freestyle in so many places) and have
seen some odd behavior as well. Right now I am running Redhat 9 on Axil
Thimm's 2.4.20-20_29.rh9.at kernel. I pretty much followed Jarod's guide
by the letter so I got ALSA, IVTV and the Myth suite through apt-get. I
found very quickly that I had to tweak the modules.conf file a bit more
than the average install:

alias char-major-81 videodev
alias char-major-81-0 ivtv
*alias char-major-81-1 ivtv*
options ivtv debug=0 *num_devices=2* mpg_buffers=100
options tuner type=2
options msp3400 once=1 simple=1
add below ivtv msp3400 saa7115 tuner

At first the "char-major-81-1" was all I was using, but I was getting
periodic 0 size files. I added the "num_devices=2" line after scrounging
around the IVTV mailing lists.

I am not sure if my method is the "according to Hoyle" way of doing
things, but right now my box is working so I ain't tounching it again!

-Sean