[mythtv-users] Begging for help with live TV freeze

steve at nexusuk.org steve at nexusuk.org
Thu Dec 11 16:32:44 EST 2003

On Mon, 8 Dec 2003, Patrick E. McKnight wrote:

> > A number of people, myself included, have reported
> > frontend freezes in live TV, the symptom being frozen
> > picture and sound, the frontend spitting out "Waited 2
> > seconds for data to become available, waiting
> > again...", and the backend seemingly working normally.

I'm having the same problem:  The playback freezes for a few seconds,
then starts up again but at about 1 frame per second for about 5
frames, then goes back to normal.  It's definately a problem with
playback, not recording because I can rewind and play the bit the froze up
and it'll play fine.  CPU time is also not an issue - there is plenty of
CPU free and the usage drops off while the problem is happening.

> Let me see if I can help you here.  I too had the screen freezes but I
> did the following and now it no longer freezes.  First, I originally
> compiled bttv into the kernel - big mistake.  I'm using 2.6.0-test11 on
> gentoo and by recompiling the bttv, btaudio, etc as modules, I was able
> to control the driver configs in the modules.conf (or whatever file you
> use to control these things).

I tried running Myth under the 2.6.0 kernel and the performance was
abysmal.  I'm now using the vanilla 2.4.23 kernel with the preempt and
lowlatency patch, alsa and lirc - the performance is so much better than
the RedHatized 2.4.22 kernel that Fedora ships with.

--

 - Steve                                             http://www.nexusuk.org/

        *** Presented in DoubleVision (Where Drunk) - Futurama ***