[mythtv-users] Serial port control of Shaw Cable digital boxes - update

Harondel J. Sibble help at pdscc.com
Thu Dec 11 15:29:37 EST 2003

Just to let everyone know what's happening with this issue:

<sigh>

After never receiving a call back from the folks in Calgary, I called back
today. The supervisor I spoke with didn't put any notes on my account so to
make a long story short, I got put back in touch with Ron who originally
enabled the serial port for me. He was a bit cranky that I was still pushing
this issue after being told that they will not enable this feature for
customers. He said that he had spoken to the head of Digital Cable for all of
Shaw who said they aren't going to offer this feature to customers.  I
mentioned that other people are interested in this and he said that
regardless of this fact, Shaw will not provide this feature. After a bit of
digging, it seems (amongst other unspoken concerns) there is a concern that
this may cause problems with the digital service itself and they are doing
this potentially for their protection. They will allow this when they decide
too and offer the service with their own software to change channels etc.

I reiterated to Ron, that I and other folks wanted this feature and that I
would continue to check back with them regularly about getting this enabled.

So, best thing I can think now is that Shaw customers start calling and
pestering them to let them know that lots of people want this feature and
that they should listen to the folks paying the bills.....

--
Harondel J. Sibble
Sibble Computer Consulting