[mythtv-users] Begging for help with live TV freeze

bobnvic at everestkc.net bobnvic at everestkc.net
Thu Dec 11 14:29:57 EST 2003

Bob C wrote:

> > I resolved the lock ups by finetuning the channels. Essentially
> > it looks as though MythTV does not like weak signals.
> >
> I've know I had a weak signal (using a four-way non-amplified
> splitter) so this is definitely something worth looking into for
> me.  I'll give the amplified splitter at radioshack mentioned
> recently in another post a try.

I hooked the amplified 4 way splitter from radioshack up and the
signal on my TV (from coax) certainly looks better.  The PVR-250
picture was a bit oversaturated compared to previously.  I actually
experienced more crashes.  Only now it repeated "prebuffering pause"
rather than "waited 2 seconds..." on the frontend.  I've also had
the backend crash twice (no traces captured), which is unusual.

It is hard to believe that the tuner cards are so sensitve to the
signal strength.  I'll experiment with the gain setting on the
amplifier to see if I can find a happy medium.  I may pull my
bttv card to see if it happens with just a PVR-250 installed.

Does anyone see an improvement going from the .7xx bttv drivers
to the .9xx drivers?  That may be another good option for me.

Bob C