[mythtv-users] Assistance with MSI TV@nywhere card...

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Thu Dec 11 02:09:19 EST 2003

On Dec 10, 2003, at 11:19 AM, schepens at shaw.ca wrote:

> I'm using an MSI TV at nywhere Master card on a 2.20 kernel (the stock
> kernel that comes with SuSE 9.0).  I've been using the cx8800 module,
> which modprobe suggests.  This does make some sense since the card
> uses the cx881/cx883 decoder chip.

I have one also. The driver support just isn't there. The only cx88
card that really works at all well is the latest rev WinTV-Go cards,
but still nowhere near as good as any bt8x8 cards, and a far cry from
hardware mpeg2 cards like the PVR-250, AVerMedia M179, etc.

> Any words of wisdom you could impart on this would be gratefully
> received.

I spent quite some time playing with mine. I got a decent picture at
one point, but no audio. Changing channels caused a kernel panic. The
driver just isn't ready for actual use yet, especially with a card
different than the one the primary developer is developing on.

> Do tell me if, in your opinion(s), I'm wasting my time trying to get
> this particular card to work.

You are. Save yourself hours of waste and frustration, just get a
supported card.

> I can just take the card back and get something better supported in
> Linux.

Do it.

> However, I also had no success with my old ATI All-In-Wonder Rage II+
> card, so I suspect it's just something I'm not doing right.

No, the All-In-Wonder doesn't work with MythTV at all. It only has a
half-ass implemented v4l driver that is missing most of the necessary
functionality. You just happen to have tried two cards that don't work
at all well. :)

My recommendation is for a Hauppauge WinTV PVR-x50 card, if you're
willing to spend the money.

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...