[mythtv-users] Re:Re:Re:Any updates to allow cutting commercials

Andy check_1_2 at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 10 14:18:36 EST 2003

>Note that when exporting with mythtranscode (which is what nuvexport
>uses), commercials are not automatically 'cut'. You need to use
>mythfrontend to go into edit mode on the file and load/copy the
>commercial cutlist into the primary cutlist by pressing the 'Z' key,
>then exiting edit mode. I'm not sure, but you may be able to skip this
>step if you enable 'Auto-skip commercials' in the playback setup
>options, but I'm not sure if mythtranscode honors that. Anyway, it's
>always a good idea to verify that the commercial detection worked well
>before transcoding; some shows (especially those that have dark scenes
>right out of a commercial) can get parts chopped off occasionally.

So what you're saying is that having "automatically flag commercials"
selected in MythFrontEnd is the same as running mythcommflag on a recording
that was done when "automatically flag commercials" was NOT selected in
MythFrontEnd?
Is the automatic flagging done when recording or when playing back? It would
seem that it is done when playing back, except for the fact that when you go
into edit mode and press E,Z, the cutlist comes up instantly, as opposed to
running mythcommflag, which takes quite a long time.

I guess I don't really understand when the cutlist gets created.

And why exactly is it that I have to actually go into MythFrontEnd, start
playing the recording, press E, Z, and exit for the cutlist to be
"activated"?

-Andy.