[mythtv-users] Sanity check for PVR-250 to DVD+R

James L. Paul james at mauibay.net
Wed Dec 10 13:23:05 EST 2003

On Wednesday 10 December 2003 07:03, Romel Llarena wrote:
> Ok, after reading two days worth of threads, this is
> what I *think* I need to set my Myth box up for
> straight PVR-250 MPG to DVD+R archiving. I'm running
> NTSC on an analog TV with the idea of going digital
> HDTV in the next two years. If those experienced users
> could please comment, it would be most appreciated.
>
> DEFAULT Profile (although I plan on making LIVE TV and
> HIGH QUALITY the same. Is this the correct thing to
> do?)

Yes. As long as you are using the profile for your recording, I don't think it
matters which one you use. Default is easiest, since that what it uses by,
um, default. :)

> Width 720x480 as that will get me better potential
> quality than 352X480, correct?

Yes, assuming whatever signal you are recording from has more than 352
vertical lines of resolution. (Analog cable has less than 300.) But yes, the
potential quality is certainly higher with 720. Actual quality depends a lot
on the source quality. My best advice is to compare for yourself.

> Video Compression
> Codec: MPEG-2 Hardware Encoder
> Stream Type: MPEG-2 PS
> Aspect Ratio: 4:3
> Bitrate: 3500 with a max of 5000

That's fine. In fact, very close to my own settings.

> Audio Quality
> Codec: MPEG-2 Hardware Encoder
> Sampling Rate: 4800
> Type: Layer II (what's Layer I?)
> Bitrate: 224
> Volume: 100%

Sampling rate should read 48000Hz, I assume 4800 is a typo. Layer II is fine
in my experience, I've never had it fail to play in a DVD player. There's an
assertion on the list recently that it's only compliant on a DVD as a
subchannel with a primary channel of PCM or AC3. I haven't researched this
yet, all I can tell you is that I have made many DVDs with only MP2 audio and
haven't had problems. I haven't seen Layer I used. We all know Layer III,
which isn't supported on DVD, as the ubiquitous MP3.

> Is this correct or did I miss something for straight
> from PVR-250 to DVD+R with no reencoding?

Looks fine to me. You have fairly common midrange values set for video and
audio bitrates. You can adjust them for more or less recording time per DVD,
but these are perfectly sane for general use, IMHO.