[mythtv-users] Re:Re:Any updates to allow cutting commercials

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Wed Dec 10 11:53:45 EST 2003

On Tuesday 09 December 2003 23:42, Chris Pinkham wrote:
> > I recently discovered that I can automate the commercial detection
> > by using mythcommflag. Since my end goal is to have the tv programs
> > recorded, stripped of commercials and re-encoded to DivX or XviD,
> > that will have
>
> mythcommflag isn't automated, turning on "Automatically Flag
> Commercials" in setup is what I'd call automated since it runs
> commercial flagging immediately after a recording finishes.  This
> does the same thing that mythcommflag does, but happens
> automatically.

Note that when exporting with mythtranscode (which is what nuvexport
uses), commercials are not automatically 'cut'.  You need to use
mythfrontend to go into edit mode on the file and load/copy the
commercial cutlist into the primary cutlist by pressing the 'Z' key,
then exiting edit mode.  I'm not sure, but you may be able to skip this
step if you enable 'Auto-skip commercials' in the playback setup
options, but I'm not sure if mythtranscode honors that.  Anyway, it's
always a good idea to verify that the commercial detection worked well
before transcoding; some shows (especially those that have dark scenes
right out of a commercial) can get parts chopped off occasionally.

-JAC