[mythtv-users] minor issues with new MythTV Install

Alan Snyder ax763 at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 10 10:45:59 EST 2003

> Background/specs:  AMD XP 1800+, C-Media 5.1 sound
card, ATI
> TV Wonder VE (boss won't let me fork out the cash
for a
> PVR-250 or 350), Riva TNT2 32 meg AGP, RedHat 9
(only 10
> installs to get everything configured).  I'm not a
Linux
> newbie, but niether am I an expert.  Currently
displaying on
> monitor until everything is working.
>
> Okay here's the issues.
>
> 1)  My channels are off by 1 when both
watching/recording.
> For instance, Sci-Fi is channel 73 for me and
everything is
> recording/watching 72.  The whole scheme is off by
1.  Any
> ideas?  I was rather shocked/upset that when I went
to test
> the playback of the new Battlestar Gallactica
mini-series and
> ended up with Queer Eye.

Most likely, you need to tell the bttv drivers what
kind of
tuner your card has.  This usually happens in
/etc/modules.conf
with a line like

options bttv card=78 tuner=2 radio=1 gbuffers=4

the critical part for you being tuner=xx.

For what it's worth, I needed card=78
because bttv didn't auto-identify my Kworld card.  The
card
type is needed by lirc to interpret my on-board remote

receiver registers.  I don't think the radio=0 or 1
matters
under linux.  I don't recall what gbuffers does.

> 2)  Delayed audio when watching LiveTV and Recorded
programs.
>  DVD playback and rips seem to be fine.  What are
the
> keyboard commands to control things. I know I could
> experiement and find them, but hey just thought I'd
ask.

> 3) I've got constant background audio from whatever
channel
> the LiveTV was last set to!  This one is the most
> annoying!!!!!  No matter what I'm doing I've got
this audio
> feed, whether I'm playing music, watching a DVD, or
even is
> mythfronend is not running!

You need to mute the soundcard input that's accepting
your TV
audio.  Myth records the audio and video to a buffer
and sends
both back out with a short delay.  You don't want the
TV audio
to be mixed in with your soundcard output.  Use aumix
or
alsamixer or kmix.  Your soundcare line input should
be
identified as the recording source but should be
muted.  Your
"CAPTUR" control in alsamixer should be set to a level
that
gives good recording.