[mythtv-users] VIA EPIA Motherboards

Stuart Felenstein stuart4m at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 10 09:56:43 EST 2003

I purches the M1000 right before the LVD came out.  I'm not sure but I think the LVDS01 is an upgrade on the LAN.  I could be wrong on that issue.
The price looks good, though it's been a few weeks for me.  I purchased at Logicsupply and paid 170.
For information on Epia and Epia PVR / HTPC I'd spend some time looking around
viaarena.com and epiacenter.com .
BIGFATWARNING:Via has failed miserably to deliver drivers for the onboard CLE266 video chip.
To date: Windows is non existent if you want such things as hardware acceleration and decoding for watching DVD's.
Linux - over the last few months Via has made some effort and greater effort has been made by various Linux hackers (most of whom you will see at viaarena).  So for Linux there has been some improvement.  It is a bit of work (at least for me) getting those drivers installed and working properly.  There are drivers from Via, for the main distros but built against those distros very specific kernels.  Outside of that option, there are patches for kernel .23.
Sorry if I provided too much extraneous information.
Stuart

Douglas Bates <bates at stat.wisc.edu> wrote:
>From several postings on this list I have become interested in
building a system based on the VIA EPIA motherboards. At
essencompu.com there are listings for both the VIA EPIA M10000 and the
VIA EPIA M-10000 Nehemiah ($151) and the VIA EPIA M-10000 LVDS01
Nehemiah ($209). What's the difference between these? I couldn't
spot anything in looking at the specs.

Can anyone offer recommendations of places to buy VIA EPIA
motherboards?

For a case I have been considering the VIA Sereniti 2000. Comments?