[mythtv-users] Best graphics card choice? (HDTV and regular)

Gerald Britton gbritton at doomcom.org
Tue Dec 9 18:07:58 EST 2003

On Tue, Dec 09, 2003 at 01:39:43PM -0800, audin at okb-1.org wrote:
> 	Make sure the matrox driver and card can handle overlay at 1920x1088.
> Such large overlays seem to be a serious problem with current X drivers.  I
> know for a fact that the Radeon drivers can't handle it, and i've seen posts
> (during my search for a radeon fix) that imply the matrox drivers can't,
> either.

With the Radeon it's a hardware limitation with the R200/M9 or older.
Quoting from the fglrx readme:

 21. Overlay Limitations
     For M9 / R200 graphic chips, overlay is horizontally limited to 1536
     pixels. If the selected mode exceeds this limit (e.g. 1600x1200), there
     is no overlay display beyond 1536 pixels.

There are probably other cards which have similar limitations (I know the
S3 SuperSavage has this limitation because my Thinkpad T23 had one of those).

				-- Gerald