[mythtv-users] Which Hardware route...

Kevin Barsby Kevin.Barsby at Sun.COM
Tue Dec 9 05:20:09 EST 2003

Ok, I've been looking into a Linux based pvrtivoallsingingdancingthingy
for some time now, I am coming to the conclusion that potentially the
best sort of configuration would be something that uses an external
TV/Satellite/Cable box and simply takes input from the S-VHS output from
this.

MythTV seems to support this configuration (Channel changing scripts et
al.), but it leaves me with the question of what hardware input to go for.

I was leaning towards a VIA EPIA M10000 motherboard (no fans + MPEG
decoder), but the video in asks some questions, do I need a fully
featured PVR250/350 type card, or is there a simpler and cheaper (and
well supported) alternative, that provides an S-VHS / composite input
and mpeg2 encoder?

Any thoughts or similar setup recommendations welcome :-)

Thanks
Kev