[mythtv-users] Full IMDB database available

Eric Litman elitman at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 8 23:15:36 EST 2003

While searching for some ideas on how to improve on the guide data from
zap2it, I came across a project that has been working to get TiVos
working in Canada despite the lack of availability of TiVo's service
there.

As with MythTV, at the core of the project is xmltv, however they've
taken the additional step to combine zap2it's output with IMDB to fill
in the additional information TiVo's service data would have provided
(actors, dates, special guests, etc.) It turns out that IMDB makes
their entire database available for download with a very generous,
non-commercial license:

ftp://ftp.fu-berlin.de/pub/misc/movies/database/

Here's a link to the the project site:

http://www.tivocanada.com/

I may play around with this and MythTV after the 1st of the year, but
thought I'd pass it on to the list in case anyone wanted to pick this
up.

-Eric